Genealogical searching with HeritageQuest. Contains U.S. Census data from 1790-1930, local and family histories, PERSI – Periodical Source Index (citation-only) from over 6,500 genealogical and historical periodicals.
- Access HeritageQuest Please note: If you are accessing the website from outside of the library, you will need your library card number.
Known problems with accessing Heritage Quest Online from outside of the library.
- Be sure to enter your full 14 number library card barcode with no spaces.
- If you are trying to access Heritage Quest on a Macintosh computer you will not be able to do so if you are using a version of Internet Explorer. Netscape or another browser will however work fine.
- Do you use America Online (AOL)?
There are some known issues with remote users accessing HQO using AOL. Other ISPs might cause similar problems, but at least we’ve been able to find that if you are using AOL 8.0, the only thing you have to do is minimize AOL and open Internet Explorer outside AOL. If you are using AOL 9.0, you open your Internet Explorer browser, go to Tools, then Internet Options, and then when you get the little window with all the tabs, choose the AOL tab and choose on the Web Browser Accelerator section of that tab the option that says ‘Do not Store Web Pages’. After you do this you can access HQO through AOL. 9.0 without minimizing it.*
- Do you use a personal firewall or internet security program such as Norton Personal Firewall or Norton Internet Security?
- Another thing that might be causing problems accessing HQO remotely is if you are using a firewall or security software on your computer. Please visit this URL http://www.texshare.edu/remote/firewall.html to find instructions on how to set up your firewall/security software (Norton’s) so that you can access HQO.”*
* thanks to Craven-Pamlico-Carteret Library for the instructions on how to deal with these problems and the idea for the page.