Summer Reading Game
- Preschool Storytime
- My First Library Card
- Science Explorers
- Read to a Dog
- Summer Reading Game
- Cooking Club for Kids
- Art Van
- Field Trips
- Programs for Childcares
Join us for fun, reading, & prizes during our Summer Reading Game.
First day to signup is Friday, June 17th, Game begins Sunday, June 19th.
Studies have shown that children who don’t read during the summer can lose a lot of ground. If, however, they read as little as 20 minutes per day, children can maintain and enhance their reading skills, effectively jump-starting their readiness for the next school year.
That’s why we want kids to read 20 minutes per day or more in this year’s Summer Reading Game — One World Many Stories. Pre-readers can play too by having their parents read to them.
Registration begins June 17th, but participants may sign up anytime during the eight weeks of the game. Children will have the opportunity to earn a prize every week of the game, simply by meeting their personal goal. Here’s how to play:
- Write down how many minutes you read each day.
- At the end of the week add up how much you read that week. If you’ve met your goal (at least 2 hours/week) you win!
- Bring your log into the library the following week to claim your prize.
- Each week you can choose to get a prize or to save up 3 wins for a better prize.
- Bonus! Every time you win, you also get a raffle ticket for a big prize. The more tickets you get, the better your chance to win is. The big prize will be awarded at the end of the game (mid-August).
Children may play for any or all weeks. Any age may play, up to 12 years old. For more information, please call us at the Children’s Desk: 207-513-3133.
“Thank you so much for the reading program this summer. This was our first year. [My boys] liked the prizes, but it really got them reading, and once they started, they realized how much they liked it! So thank you again!”
~ Denise. K a satisfied parent
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can my pre-reader still play the game? Sure! Time you spend reading to your child and time they spend looking at books counts for the game. Time spent at our storytimes also counts toward your weekly goal!
- Can I just bring in the reading log at the end of the 8 weeks and get 8 prizes? No, we’d like to encourage use of the library on a regular basis. Also children will be more likely to continue their reading with a weekly positive reinforcement (prize).
- What if I don’t meet my goal for a week? That’s okay, just try again next week! Readers can play for any or all of the eight weeks.
- Can my whole Childcare play the game together? Yes, but ask the person at the game-desk for a special signup sheet. Each reader will get their own log, but it will help us to know that you’re a childcare.
- Does a parent need to come to the library with the child to get a prize? No, but make sure the parent signs the reading log each week before it is shown to us.