Trying to track down branches of your family tree? Our local genealogy collection has many sources of information to help. The following are just some of the sources we offer.
Did you know?
Library staff can help you find what you need. We can simply get you started with some search materials, or in some cases, we can do the work for you! Can Google© do that?
Materials (books & electronic files)
- Genealogy Reference Print Material: Listing of our in house materials.
- City directories from 1883 – 1996 (microfilm 1883 – 1935; hardcopy 1936 – 1996) . Available upon request at the reference desk.
- Cemetery records for 30 area cemeteries. List and map of Lewiston cemeteries. Here are the Maine Franco-American Genealogical Society’s cemetery records for the area.
- Marriage records
- Baptism records from the following Lisbon churches (all together in this file):
- St. Cyril & Methodius
- St. Ann
- Holy Family
- Heritage Quest: A database with many research options. Features include:
- U.S. Census data from 1790-1930
- Local and family histories
- PERSI – Periodical Source Index (citation-only) from over 6,500 genealogical and historical periodicals.
- Ancestry Library Edition (within library building only): 4,000 databases with unparalleled coverage of the United States and the United Kingdom, including census, vital, church, court, and immigration records, as well as record collections from Canada and other areas. Features Include:
- U.S. Federal Census images and indexes from 1790 to 1930
- The Map Center containing more than 1,000 historical maps
- American Genealogical Biographical Index (over 200 volumes)
- Daughters of the American Revolution Lineage (over 150 volumes)
- The Great Migration Begins: Immigrants to New England, 1620-1630
- Social Security Death Index (updated monthly)
- WWI Draft Registration Cards
- Federal Slave Narratives
- A strong Civil War collection.
- Family History Center
4 Hasson Street
Farmingdale, Maine 04344
Associated with the Mormon Library in Salt Lake City, Utah
- The American French Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 2113
Pawtucket, Rhode Island 02861
- New England Historic Genealogical Society
101 Newbury Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02116-3007
(617) 536-7307 – fax
1-888-90-NEHGS – Circulation Library
- Maine Historical Society: Genealogy web site
- Maine Franco-American Genealogical Society
Fr. Leo E. Begin Library
115 High St., Auburn, ME 04210
- Bibliotheque et Archives Nationales Quebec
475, boul. De Maisonneuve